Tuesday, April 26, 2005

My kinda town

Smart casual, now there's something the American's actually invented. Bastards. Don't you hate smart casual? Suit. Easy. Jeans, t-shirt, pair of trainers. Piece of piss. Pulling shirt, pair of strides and shiny shoes. Yep, no probs. Black tie. Ok, we'll need to let the sidey bits out on the trousers but hey thats what they're for, right? Smart casual. What the fuck does that mean?

For some blokes of course, they just pull out their smoking jacket and suede Gucci's. Not me, smart casual always caused me a headache.

Our office in Chicago is completely smart or business casual, so accordingly I've had to purchase a whole new wardrobe since I've been here, which is not difficult actually because in most mens shops all you can buy is chino's, button down plain shirts and tan brogues.

What is really hard is not looking like the next guy because its a uniform. A Ralph Lauren shirt with button down collar, chest pocket, pair of beige dockers and a pair Hanig brogues. Walk down the street, get on the train and every bloke looks identical with their big cell phones and side partings. And of course a vest, or under-shirt, don't get me started on vests. I 'm thinking of borrowing one of Francey's string ensembles and starting a trend back here!

I remember one day Nigel Smith wore a shirt with a chest pocket to work and Matt Grimwade threatened to send him home or he'll rip it off! Old Grimmers would have a field day here.

The only time I wear a suit is if I have a client meeting when I know the client will be in a suit, and that totally depends on that person, where they are from (New Yorkers like to dress up, whilst people on the west coast dress like they are going to the shops, for example) and what kind of industry they might work in.

I have actually worn a suit quite a lot recently and I have come to realise I quite miss it. Andy Brooks (who worked in New York for the RSA) told me that he wore his chalk-stripe suit everyday without fail even when it was really hot. I think Baxter was the same.

Smart casual does have its advantages in the summer when you can just wear a polo shirt and in the winter when you can whack a fleece over your 4 jumpers, sorry sweaters!

I must admit that over time I have become accustomed to the business casual look, I have tried a few different looks but have generally tried to avoid the good old American appearance. And at least if I do find myself wearing a pair of chino's (I owe one pair) and a blue shirt (one as well) I will put my St George's cuff links on and you can't buy them here because no one has a fucking clue what they are let alone own a pair!

No comments: