Sunday, June 30, 2013

5 years in Bermuda

It is five years today that I left Chicago for Bermuda. In the blog post I wrote the day after I arrived I said work was like the first day at school, and I have just been thinking about that, and remembered how long 5 years was when I was actually at school.

Can you remember how long being
at school appeared? I stayed on in sixth form for a year, but 5 years is a whole lifetime at secondary school, and it is seems implausible that I have now been in Bermuda that long!

I have written before that the weather and the restrictive nature of activities there are to do that a 21-square mile island brings makes living here a little like Groundhog Day, accelerating time to the point when often I never know even what day it is.

Age brings less haste and more speed into the process and since we arrived on the island we also had our beautiful daughter join us, but bloody hell is she growing up quick.

I miss Chicago and rarely does a day pass without me reminiscing about the five years I lived there, but fortunately I still have a lot to connect myself to the windy city. London, the world's greatest city, is of course where my heart is, especially that little pocket in SE7, but our lives are in Bermuda and we expect to stay here for a little while yet.

On the 0-10 scale of love, my needle has probably moved from like, to like a lot particularly since the birth of our daughter, because Bermuda is a fantastic place for young children and with busy lives, I challenge anyone to rival the work-life balance alongside the natural beauty that Bermuda gives.

The weather ain't bad either....

No comments: