Saturday, September 26, 2009

What's in a team name?

No. 1: Davor Duvancic's W Wallace Boys
This is more of an-in joke to be fair. I call Davor Serbian, he get's upset and calls me Scottish and I call him Bosnian, he calls me Welsh, etc etc. Guess you had to be there. Naming his N&R FL side W Wallace of course as Sweaty would know celebrates Sir William Wallace (1272 – 1305), known for leading a resistance during the War's of Scottish Independence and is today remembered in Scotland as a patriot and national hero just slightly ahead of George Burley and Rab C Nesbitt.

Along with Andrew Moray, Wallace defeated an English army at the Battle of Stirling Bridge, and became Guardian of Scotland, serving until his defeat at the Battle of Falkirk. A few years later Wallace was captured in Robroyston near Glasgow and handed over to King Edward I of England, who had him executed for treason. Not I would have thought a lucky omen for my tall Slovenian friend Davor.

No comments: