Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Non League Scene

I know a few of you have secret soft spots for non-league teams, often local to where you live or where you grew up. Ian Monohan for example is a closet Maidstone United fan, and I believe Rob Munden has Sutton United as his second team. I meanwhile used to watch Welling, Bromley and Dulwich Hamlet in my yoof and followed Hornchurch when I lived out that way before moving to Chicago.

So I am interested in your stories of standing on crumpled old terraces with a few old men and a dog drinking bovril and watching overweight blokes give everything for a bit of pocket money and a lot of pride. The non-league game with the advent of the Conference and pyramid has changed enormously yet I know many people that are watching less and less league football and rekindling an interest in their local non-league teams. I want to hear from you and periodically during the season I will research a team and write about it here. Email me at simon_newport@agl.aon.com.

No comments: