Sunday, January 18, 2009

David Vine and Tony Hart

What a sad few days with the loss of Tony Hart and David Vine plus Prisoner star Patrick McGoohan. Tony Hart helped inspire a generation of kids in both Vision On and Take Hart but after a long period of ill health he died Sunday aged 83. I rarely missed an episode as a kid and my Mum spent a lot of money sending my pictures into the show. I had another jolt of sadness before Christmas when Oliver Posgate, the creator of Ivor the Engine, Bagpuss and the iconic Clangers also died.

I guess it is a sign of getting older but men and women I used to love as a kid are now dying on a regular basis, not a week appears to go by when I don't get a lump in my throat and a rush of childhood memories.

Earlier in the week David Vine sadly passed away as well, I read his obituary and all I could think of was his brilliant soothing voice leading the nation through the excitement of many a World Snooker match. As Dennis Taylor said though 'Whispering' Sid Lowe was the voice of Snooker, but Vine was certainly the face. Vine presented a host of sports programmes like Grandstand, Ski Sunday, Question of Sport and the fantastic Superstars.

Rumpole of Bailey creator Sir John Mortimer died last week and before Christmas the country also lost Kathy Staff, everyone's favourite battle-axe and Reg Varney.... I used to love On the Buses. Get this bus out of here Butler.

No comments: