Monday, September 08, 2008

Rod Liddle says

I now have the delight to spend my Sunday mornings with The Sunday Times, thanks to an ingenious idea where full copies of international newspapers are digitially printed on a broadsheet format and delivered to your front door wherever you live. It is $10 well spent.

I expect many of you lot are Sunday Sport people, and who can blame you, but me I love the old Sunday Times, particularly writers such as AA Gill, Simon Barnes, Martin Johnson, Giles Smith, Hugh McIlvanney and in particular Rod Liddle.

So for those of you that miss Mr Liddle's cutting comments on the state of today's game, many of which mirror my own, I thought I would start a new series of quotes, linking to Liddle's full article.

"It seems the manager (Alan Curbishley) had a strip torn off him by one of his players in the dressing room following West Ham’s fortuitous victory over Blackburn last week. Curbishley had ventured to suggest that his team had seemed intent, for the second time in three games, on chucking away a two-goal lead. What nerve, what cheek, of a manager to say such a thing! One player shouted at him that the team had “kept you in a job” by their magnanimity in occasionally contriving to win matches. This was the club captain, Lucas Neill, who was well renowned for his consuming arrogance even when he played for Millwall. The same Lucas Neill awarded an outrageous wage packet by Curbishley when he arrived from Blackburn and which he earned by sitting on his arse for three months with a knee injury."

Read full story here.

No comments: