Monday, September 29, 2008

Bermuda Triangle

I know you lot worry about my well being. Of course I often pour my heart out on here, but that would mean you'd have to decipher the Charlton crap, best avoided probably.

I've been here about 10 weeks now and am finally getting more settled. I suppose it took me a lot longer in Chicago, 6 months I would say before I really appreciated the enormity of what I'd done. But this time around, as I would have hoped, it's been a lot quicker.

Bermuda is like living in a bubble though a surreal place where work and holiday intertwine. There is no getting away from the sea, you can see it from almost everywhere as Bermuda is only a mile and a half wide at it's widest point. Office life is like any other, but commuting by ferry makes me realise that this is no normal place.

I've compared Bermuda to like living in an English village 20 years ago except with 10,000% inflation. The post comes when the postman feels like it, the shops shut on a Sunday and mostly only open 9 to 5 midweek. The banks shut at 4pm! Everyone says hello to each other, the television is rubbish and a pet cat being run over is front page of the newspaper.

For me what I have really liked is the market community, that doesn't exist in Chicago. Here with the market made up of Brits, Americans, Canadians and Bermudians the market has more of a buzz about it and weirdly at every turn of a street corner I recognise a face from the past. Often not their name, but their face. If you wondered where that bloke went you used to see at ABC syndicate, at Cannon St station or in The Lamb everyday, well more than likely he is here.

Bermuda, a bubble full of new capital and old faces. It is really all the same except for the sound of the waves.....

No comments: