Saturday, January 27, 2007

A little bit of Bully

To celebrate the recent world darts championships, I thought I would list some tournament quotes for your enjoyment. A note to our American managers, Darts requires the fitness of Baseball, the precision of Basketball and the nerves of a American Football, oh and the ability to drink 10 pints of Stella and a huge plate of Steak & Kidney Pie.

Here are some quotes from the world’s top darts personalities:

“Before a match I like to relax with 25 bottles of Holsten Pils and six steak n' kidney pies.”Andy Fordham

“I don't know if his illness was drink-related or weight-related. He's got an infection in his lung.”
Fordham's wife Jenny after he collapses with breathing difficulties at The Lakeside.

“Who let the dogs out?”
The Lakeside crowd after the tournament's first streaker on the oche in 2001 as Ted 'The Count' Hankey played Shaun Greatbach.

“I wasn't nervous during the match but the streaker certainly affected my game. I just wish I'd got her name and address!”
Shaun Greatbach

“The other day Phil was going on about how he could not get a set of table and chairs in his Bentley. What does he want a Bentley for? It is pathetic, absolutely pathetic.”
Chris Mason on 13-time champion Phil 'The Power' Taylor.

“I drive a nine-year old car and he rubs everyone's noses in it by driving round in a Bentley.”
Mason warms to this theme.

“Phil is lucky I'm not 10 years younger when my bollocks were bigger than my brain. He is always giving it the 'Bertie big'.”
Mason again.

“At the end he effed and blinded at me. I'll see him upstairs in a minute and we'll see how big and brave he is.”
Taylor crushes Mason but is unhappy with his beaten opponent's reaction.

“If he wants to sort it out in the car park, I will see him there. I am a bigger man than him.”
Mason hits back, although careful you don't scratch the Bentley, Chris.

“Is ball-rooming dancing a sport? It's recognised as a sport but I don't see any balls there.”
The wonderful Bobby George.

“His darts used to stick out like tulips in the board.”
On the improvement of Dutchman Vincent van der Voort.

“Cliff Lazarenko's idea of exercise is a firm press on a soda siphon.”
Commentator Sid Waddell on the great and big Welshman,

“Bristow reasons; Bristow quickens; aaaaah Bristow!”
Sid Waddell on the 'Crafty Cockney,' who was different gravy.

“We couldn't have more excitement if Elvis walked in and asked for a chip sandwich.”
A Waddell classic

“William Tell could take an apple off your head, Taylor could take out a processed pea.”
And another.

No comments: