Thursday, December 29, 2005

2005 - A year in quotes

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
A classic quote from George Best, who sadly died in November.

"The only threats I've had this week have been from the wife for not doing the washing up."
Harry Redknapp on returning to Portsmouth with Southampton.

"Thierry has been absolutely magical and I love the way he plays the game and expresses himself. He is like Merlin the Magician and Dr Who rolled into one."
PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor on the Arsenal striker.

"If people come to your window and talk to your wife every night, you can't accept it without asking what is happening."
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger on the alleged tapping-up of Ashley Cole by Chelsea.

"During the afternoon it rained only in this stadium - our kitman saw it - they tried everything. There must be a microclimate here."
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho bemoans Blackburn's pitch-watering tactics after the Blues' hard-fought win at Ewood Park.

"I've walked into restaurants with my wife to the roar of 'Psycho! Psycho!' - they expect me to respond with a two-fisted salute, but I just put my head down in embarrassment and walk past."
Manchester City boss Stuart Pearce is trying to leave his past behind him.

"I really like her family - they are all pretty cool. Let's be fair, it's not bad that they own a pub either!"
Rugby ace Gavin Henson on life with Charlotte Church.

"This one's for Victoria Beckham - we've heard she likes a drink."
Welsh rappers Goldie Lookin Chain dedicate new single Your Missus Is A Nutter to Posh Spice before the Wales-England game in Cardiff.

"I've got to get through a night with Freddie Flintoff before I can think about anything else!"
England captain Michael Vaughan responds to questions about the winter tour.

"I've not been to bed yet. Behind these sunglasses there's a thousand stories."
Freddie Flintoff on the Ashes celebrations.

"A message to the best football supporters in the world. We need a 12th man here. Where are you? Where are you? Let's be having you."
Norwich supremo Delia Smith issues her infamous rallying cry

"My mother told me there would be days like these. She just didn't tell me when and how many."
Sunderland boss Mick McCarthy after his side conceded a 94th-minute equaliser to West Brom when on the verge of their elusive first victory in the Premiership this season.

"He has said he will quit but, listen, I said I loved my wife when I left her this morning. Things change."
Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd correctly predicts Alan Shearer will reverse his decision to retire.

"I think I must have run over six black cats since I've been at Wolves."
Wolves boss Glenn Hoddle after his side drew their 10th match in 13 under him.

"It's like eating an elephant. I can do it, but you have to do it bite by bite."
Colin Montgomerie on slowly working his way up the world golf rankings.

"They don't let you smoke or drink in gyms so you know I'm not going to have any fun doing that."
Golfer John Daly insists he has no plans to pump iron.

"I thought it was a bit high - he nearly took my willy off. You would probably expect that from Bob but there you go."
Inverness player Ross Tokely complains about a challenge by Rangers defender Bob Malcolm.

"It is true. Despite the rumours, we have signed Jonah Lomu, not Joanna Lumley!"
Cardiff Blues chief executive Robert Norster on the surprise signing of the All Blacks legend.

"Anybody who is a QPR fan is welcome at Loftus Road. I'd be happy for him to turn up for a kickabout, just so long as he brings that Kate Moss with him - she's absolutely lovely."
QPR boss Ian Holloway invites Rangers fan Pete Doherty and his girlfriend to Loftus Road.

"They would be as well having Roger de Courcey and Nookie Bear for manager because Vladimir Romanov just wants a puppet he can work."
Former Hearts defender Allan Preston on George Burley's shock exit from the club after a reported row with owner Romanov.

"It wasn't a monkey on my back, it was Planet of the Apes!"
Sunderland manager Mick McCarthy is relieved at beating Middlesbrough, earning the Black Cats their first Premiership win since December 2002.

"I'm disappointed now if opposing fans don't call me a wanker. I'm not living up to my standards otherwise."
Sheffield United boss Neil Warnock - whose name is actually an anagram of Colin Wanker!

"It's amazing what you can see through Sven's specs - I must get a pair."

Gary Lineker gives his reaction to Sven-Goran Eriksson's positive thoughts on the tedious England-Holland friendly.

"If Bill Shankly was alive, he'd be turning in his grave."
Harry, a caller to the BBC's 606 phone-in programme, after Liverpool's Cup defeat by Burnley.

No comments: