Tuesday, November 02, 2004

My kinda town

Well the day has finally arrived, election day. It seems like the whole time I have been in the States everyone has been banging on about it. God knows what I am going to watch on television tomorrow night? I guess I could always tune into the new series of The Swan.

The polls opened on the East Coast at 6am (5 hours behind the UK) and the last booth will close in Alaska tonight at around 6am GMT. Analysts predict the biggest turnout for 40 years, approximately 1.25m people which is 75% of the total illegible to vote and I am told the queues at polling stations are huge. In fact returning from getting my lunch a moment ago I had this ridiculous conversation with a guy who recognised me from the hour long line at Irving Park this morning. He asked me how long I waited and what time I got there and we talked about how amazing it all was.

Of course it wasn't me, I can't vote I'm just a poor British bloke who thinks they are all mad but hey I didn't have the heart to tell him.

No comments: