Friday, September 17, 2004

In the news - Tally ho!


Being stuck 4,000 miles away with only American networks to watch and newspapers to read does not allow me to keep up with the news back home. I joke with the Yanks that for all I know the French could be invading the UK and I would not know until I phoned my old man up and he told me the Frogs were at the end of his street armed with french sticks and cheese.

So the web is a wonderful thing for me, it keeps me in touch and gives me a little sanity snap from Iraq, the presidential elections and people shooting each other in the street. However occassionally I read something and I don't get it at all and I will bring these to your attention throughout the season.

So, someone please explain to me what Greg Harris was doing inside the House of Commons on Wednesday? From what I can see on the internet Greg and some of his rah mates who were disguised as insurance underwriter's managed to get through security and into the chamber where they screamed abuse (politely of course) at stunned ministers.

Now what I can't understand is that of all the causes to storm the House of Commons for and to confront a government minister on the front bench, all they were doing was defending their "right" to ride around on horses and setting dogs on foxes. Is that it? Guy Fawkes would be turning in his grave.

Greg, next time you and your bum chums decide to break into Westminster please take Neil Cryer with you so he can protest about something worthwhile like longer pub opening hours.

No comments: