Monday, May 24, 2010

Bermuda Triangle

Coming up for two years in July on the rock. Life has been good, if not sometimes a bit boring. The trick is always to have a flight booked to go somewhere else as island fever can certainly kick in.

When you have been to the same restaurant three days running (as I did last week) or you find yourself discussing a quote with an underwriter on the beach on a Saturday afternoon, or when you can't buy a loaf of bread outside of 9-5 Monday to Friday then you know it is time to get off this 21-square mile hook-shaped peculiar, if not stunningly beautiful isle.

I miss London, but if I'm honest only family, friends and footie, oh and I do miss the market. I spent 16 years trawling those streets with a slipcase under my arm (now in the possession of Pk) and I am fortunate to still have a lot of very special friendships with people I met on the way.

I miss Chicago, some of the people definitely but the city mostly. If you have never been to Chicago, then you do not know what you are missing. This time of year is spectacular. But Bermuda is still not a bad place to hang out, it is certainly a nice melting pot of people and the market acts more like a proper face-to-face market in the London way, than it ever did or does in Chicago.

People ask me all the time where is next and honestly I have no idea. I gave up a long time ago planning my life too far ahead. But next? My heart would without a shadow of doubt say London, but my head would probably say the US. Part of me would like a completely different challenge altogether but simply it will boil down to opportunity, quality of life and what is ever best for my new family here with careful consideration to my son.

Recently however, I signed up for a new work permit. I was given 4 years which sounds a scary long time but the tax rate is lower :-) and if an earthquake ever hits an area that is not already impoverished then Bermuda will go crazy. I was also given 4 years because obtaining work permits for ex-pats here is getting harder and harder.

We also plan to move house this summer. The rents have come down a fair bit, although they are still absolutely ridiculous. We found a much nicer, more modern, bigger house that was cheaper than our current one and we are looking forward to the move. We have the sea and a beach just a 5-iron away. Oh and on either side is a golf range that for some mad reason includes a very good curry house and on the other side is the PGA course at Port Royal. Jealous yet? Well come and visit.

I should play more golf, but my thumb and my torn ACL need sorting out first. Anyway the summer will be taken up with lazy days watching football, drinking very cold sauvignon blanc and the smell of barbeques. Come on England! Football's coming home!

No comments: