Sunday, March 14, 2010

Landon Donovan

I have not always been very polite when it came to Landon Donovan. I questioned his ambition and his ability. His previous turns at playing in Europe were frankly a disaster. He was happy to lord it in the MLS with a good wage and a great life in LA. A big fish in a small footballing pond.

However I have changed my opinion after his 10-week spell with Everton when after his final game at home to Hull last week he was given a heroes send-off. The U.S. international's (he has about 300 caps or something) arrival coincided with just two league defeats and shock wins over Chelsea and champions Manchester United and he left the club in ninth place in the table

"The send-off from the fans after the Hull City game was one of the most incredible experiences of my life..." he said.

"I was talking to my dad and I was saying that I wished he could have been here against Hull City, just to see the reception after the game, because it was something I've never experienced and I'm not sure I ever will again."

Well Landy me old china. Real football, real passion and a league in which you and your pace and intelligence can excel at. Come back soon.

No comments: