Sunday, March 14, 2010

David Beckham

He may not have played in South Africa, he may not have even gone (of course he was going) but David Beckham tearing his achilles tendon today will almost definitely count him out of this year's World Cup. Like a lot of Englishmen Beckham inordinately grew on me and there were England games when he literally won them on his own, read Wayne Rooney now.

Yeh, yeh he can't head the ball, he can't tackle and his left leg is for standing on but ignoring his other peg, his experience, personality and positive presence in the team camp would have been invaluable in what would have been his 4th World Cup and he must be devastated. I am.

His chances of resuming his career appear slim tonight, yet alone being fit for South Africa in 3 months time but I always thought, and this terrible news made me think it again tonight, that if I ever got picked for England (any sport) then I wanted to stand there and bellow out the national anthem and be as proud as David Beckham is to play for his country.

No comments: