Sunday, September 03, 2006

Who are ya? Nobby

This will be a regular feature as I try to introduce you to each other. So I thought, what better way to start than with me? Most of you know me, some think they do and some wouldn't know me if they fell over me in a bar.

Here goes.... I grew up in South London, in the rather exclusive leafy (mainly marijuana) suburb of Catford (pronounced Cart-foord). After being mesmerised by Johan Cruyff and the Dutch team at the 1974 World Cup finals, my Dad took me down to The Valley and in a connection I still find hard to understand, I became a Charlton fan, and I still bleed Addick red to this day.

After attending the school of life, insurance found me at an early age. I was queuing for Sturge's box at 14 (Paul Long was doing the photo-copying) and had learnt where each box was in Lloyds and where each public house was in the City by the age of 16. I worked for a long extinct broker called Leslie & Godwin, which after about 4 mergers became Aon.

I transferred to the North American division at about the age of 21, where I learnt about earthquakes, women, being able to drink a bottle of red wine at lunchtime and still hold an intelligent conversation and how fucking stupid American's can be! I also inherited the nickname of Nobby, which meant I had made it as anyone who is anyone in the City has to have a nickname.

An old boss took me with him to a new start-up UK and European team (it sounded grander than it really was) and while Charlton were whittling down the leagues I was doing alright and lived in my own place, unlike Charlton, who shared with that shower of shit in Norwood.

I met a mad bird, got married and am still paying for it. Although the only thing that we did that was worth remembering was produce our great son, who has become the next generation of Newport Addicks. Clearly he has inherited my brains, because his favourite footballer is Peter Crouch! Honest.

For many years I harboured thoughts about working abroad, nearly went to work in New York, but didn't but thanks to a couple of people I got the chance to come and live and work (although some people would call it delegate) in the great city of Chicago, which is where I now spend my time thinking about earthquakes, how mad American's are and how much older I am than every girl I look at on the way to work in the morning.

The American culture of taking twice as long to do everything than is necessary does allow me though to spend time on my true loves of writing, drinking nice wine, travelling and watching the world's beautiful game.

Catchphrase: It's about inspiration not Perspiration.

No comments: