Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Goodbye Wigan, it's been fun

It was a real shame to see Wigan go down last night. After bringing the romance back to the FA Cup on Saturday the Latics finally ran out of legs cruelly being rolled over by a rampant Arsenal in the 2nd half.

Wigan's defensive frailties finally came home to roost and you can't let in over 70 goals and not expect a relegation battle even though they are so good to watch going forward.

If I was a Wigan fan would I have taken the FA Cup winner in the last minute over Premiership football? Yes, I probably would. It takes a lot out of a fan being in a relegation battle every year and I suppose I am just a big fan of Championship football.

I can't see a well-run club like Wigan doing a Wolves, especially with David Whelan at the helm, yet with their best players almost certain to leave as well as the enigmatic Roberto Martinez then I think next season maybe one of re-stablising the club.

The Championship is stuffed full of big, ambitious clubs with more clout and larger fan bases than Wigan. Although Wigan financially will be in a better position for sure than most.

I welcome Wigan to the Championship but I am going to miss them in the Premiership. Wigan were one of the teams that made watching the PL from the outside interesting. A nice break from the normal certainness and bootlicking. Thanks Wigan, it's been a pleasure.

No comments: