Thursday, May 17, 2012

What a final day!

When I lived in the States I would often have to defend the game of 'soccer', normally at a baseball game when fat drug-ridden blokes were running around catching a ball with a huge glove in front of me.

"It's boring" they would say and as I took a sip of my lite (sic) beer I would just laugh to myself.

Today's final afternoon of the Premier League season was one of the most dramatic there has ever been and the best final day since 1989. It was an incredible roller-coaster of emotions and tells everything about why football is the best game in the world. My heart was pounding in those last 10 minutes and my team had already been crowned Champions!

I am pleased for City, Mancini has grown on me and they are deserving Champions, but my emotions and my endorsements changed like the wind during the course of the 90 minutes.

I have little time for QPR, they are a nothing club with insouciant and superficial owners. However the more City fans weeped during the 2nd half in front of prying cameras, the more I laughed and willed Rangers and Man U, winning at Sunderland, on.

I also had a couple of quid on Bolton and Man U wins plus a QPR/City draw in a treble and that would've been a nice little earner.

I just couldn't see City scoring at 1-2, nothing was happening for them. Crosses were being flung over and Rangers with ten men lined up simply headed it out. Fans crying was not giving an awful lot of encouragement and the whole ground apart from a pocket of away fans was in despair but once they got one....

Meanwhile Joey Barton showed the world today what a scumbag he is. Football is the best team game in the world and Barton doesn't deserve to be a part of it. I hope he gets the book thrown at him. He had nothing to do with QPR's survival and if I was Mark Hughes I wouldn't want to see his revolting mug again.

So it is Bolton that join Charlton next year in the Championship and only thanks to a sloppy penalty they gave away after leading. Fine lines and narrow margins.

Bolton under Owen Coyle will I suspect recover pretty well in next season's Championship although I understand the club carries a lot of debt. I not sure I can say the same of Wolves and Blackburn are a basket case. What a day, what a season. The game of 'soccer' never lets you down.

No comments: