Sunday, November 27, 2011

Gary Speed MBE RIP

Although my fingers are hovering over my keyboard without really knowing what to say, I felt compelled to write something, a tribute of some kind following the really tragic death of Gary Speed this morning.

Speed was a model professional, a rare breed respected by all supporters whatever their bias, who played at the top level until he was 40 years old. He made 677 appearances and played for his beloved Wales 85 times.

I also suspect I was one of many non-Welshman who was excited about what Speed was doing in the Welsh national job. What a loss he is to the game.

Occasionally you hear or read something that stops you in your tracks and this news is heart wrenching and my heart goes out to his family and friends.

Tributes: Daily Mirror; Henry Winter; The Guardian; Robbie Savage; Dan Walker, BBC.

No comments: