Thursday, May 22, 2008

Tears at bedtime

I walked from the pub yesterday afternoon to another pub chuckling my arse off at John Terry. I mean if it wasn't for that bitch slap that Drogba had done on Vidic, then I'm assuming that JT would not have taken that 5th penalty. I hope poor old Didlier got a good kicking in the dressing room - if you're going to get sent off in a big game, then do it properly a la Zidane, eh?

The game kept my interest, I'm not a Champions League watcher because frankly I'm a Charlton fan, so it's a bit like not watching what the weather's going to be like in Australia. But it had all the thrills and spills that I'd hoped for. United and Ronaldo were awesome as my American Manchester Devil fans call them, in the first half. Lampard got a lucky goal and then 2nd half Chelsea really should have won it.

But penalties are made for heroes and villians (Charlton beat Sunderland at Wembley on them 10 years ago this weekend Pete) and Ronaldo after a season when he could do no wrong, was bloody odds on, in my book, to miss but Terry saved his bacon, even though Big Brave JT fell over and beat Van der Saar except for a post. It was actually a much better penalty than Ronaldos.

Le Sulk, who doesn't give a flying who he plays for, then strolled up, and that was it. Cue Sir Bobby and some strange looks from the people around me in the pub. "Who the fucks that?" they said, and that was the young lad I befriended in the queue (yes there was a queue to get in the pub much to the amazement of passers by) before the game, who was from that hotbed of United support, Hampshire's New Forest. Here on an intership.

Anyway I was pleased for Giggsy though, what football fan wouldn't be. And as Ronaldo cried joys of relief, Terry blubbed like a baby, well at least he cares.

No comments: