Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Just Fab

An Italian breath of fresh air, if that is not a non-sequitur blew into the dusty old halls of the FA today. Fabio Capello doesn't actually start work until January 7th, so he will miss out on his Christmas bonus and the FA's Christmas party, although how some sherry and a game of crown bowls can be called a party I'm not sure.

I watched an excerpt earlier of his unveiling and was impressed. My he can already speak Italian. How clever is that? If Tony Adams joins the coaching staff then he will be playing the piano by the time we meet Switzerland on February 6th.

I suggested Capello the day after McClaren was fired and although back in the day I like others clamored for an English coach, I can't face another book by Curbishley or seeing Shearer's face like a smacked arse after each excruciating defeat to countries with populations the same size as Kansas City.

Capello is a winner. 14 titles have come under his tutelage and more importantly he takes no shit, and apparently does not have a penchant for young blonde actresses.

I'm pleased, I rarely get moved by anything the national teams does (the odd penalty shoot-out aside) and I feel a little skip in my step tonight as an Englishman.

"I believe that being the manager of England is obviously different from club management. It's easier to be strict when you have the players every day. As I will only have them occasionally, my behaviour will have to change. As will theirs - because wearing the national jersey is very important. I believe that English people and footballers have a will to win and a love for their country. It's just a question of getting it out of them. I really hope to be the man who can do that."
(more)

No comments: