Tuesday, August 29, 2006

My kinda town

Whilst the weather is turning cold at home and all most of you have to look forward to are the clocks going back, firework night and the shops getting ready for Christmas, here in Chicago the sun's still out.

The summer has been fantastic in the windy city and although the winters are long, the warm summers more than make up for it. I have just got back from San Francisco, where the weather was chilly and the skies foggy. Ok, they have a nice temperature all year round but I don't think I would give up the Chicago summer or winter for their climate. Despite saying that I do really like San Fran, it is a great walkable city with fine neighbourhoods and cool places to hang out and watch those crazy Californians.

Before San Fran I was in Los Angeles. This was my 2nd visit and although most people detest it, I like it's quirkiness. Plastic tits and weirdos meet you on every corner and I like that!

In between the west coast's two biggest cities we had stop-overs in Santa Barbara, which I liked a lot, Santa Cruz, which reminded me of Margate and the wine country of Sonoma and Napa Valley. It was a great week if not a bit tiring.

Or course after the end of last season, we were straight into the World Cup, which I felt slightly let down by. Where were the stars? What happened to Ronaldinho, Shevchenko and Van Nistelrooy? I'm an old football romantic but there were no Cryuff's or Arie Haan's. Or a Brietner, a Baggio or a Socrates. No Rossi's or Platini's. No Valderrama, Milla or Cubillas. I was just left with the memories of play-acting, over zealous refeering and teams being over cautious to the point of tedium. It says something that my favourite game was Holland v Portugal.

I had to be back in London in early July to renew my visa (yes, I have been here 3 years in October!) and therefore got out to see some games with mates at home. I also caught up with Ready and a few of you in Valentes, which was nice as always. I then got back home again at the end of July to attend a very good mate's wedding on a scorching hot day in Essex.

I had some visitors here this summer too. Danny Rose and his pal were here for a few days and Lee Day also paid a visit to eat some unfeasibly large steaks! In early August Barry Paull and I had a very American breakfast - a coffee and a croissant - in New York. It used to be a pint of Ordinary in The Lamb, how things change.

Not completely forgetting my insurance training, I had a number of days out this summer. The Arlington Million, the PGA Championship plus plenty of baseball.

And my 40th birthday finally bit me on the arse last week. Very scary indeed although I have been told it is the 'new 30,' which is perhaps is even more scary as it means I have to go through a divorce, a change of country and about 100,000 pints of beer again!

Most of you already read www.chicagoaddick.blogspot.com but if you don't and are intrigued to know what actually goes on behind this calm exterior, then take a look.

No comments: