Saturday, April 29, 2006

My kinda town

This is something that has been concerning me since I got here two and a half years ago but I don't think I have ever mentioned this on the N&R forum before.

You probably take this for granted, that is when you need a 'sit down' with the newspaper or a policy wording, whatever is your fancy, there you are perched in solitude doing your business surrounded by three walls and a door.

Not in the USA you're not. For those of you that have ever done your thing in an American toilet the door is a throw back to native American times and cowboys and indians and saloon type lav doors, i.e. high enough to see your shoes and low enough the see anyone over 6' 2".

I have got used to it, just like I have a lot of things including the toilet bowls where you can watch last nights dinner go round and round before disappearing!

But what is still very disconcerting is that if you have a retentive memory for useless information like me then you recognise people's shoes. Therefore I know every person sitting on the bog and frankly I don't need to know people I work with's toiletry habits. Its just too much information.

No comments: