Sunday, December 05, 2004

My kinda town

I was back in London over Thanksgiving which was fun but knackering. My Mum & Dad have now moved to Eastbourne (well 6 miles outside) and after spending half of my time in a jam jar I realised that all the people close to me live fucking miles from each other. I got back to Chicago on Tuesday night, was in work on Wednesday and then had to go to Detroit on Thursday and Friday. My body clock doesn't know what time it is but it hasn't put it off the taste for booze, which is handy as like London we are now at the start of the Christmas party season.

I have had a few visitors recently including Messrs Day & Gumbs which was fun, though not such a laugh when my alarm was going off in the morning and I had to go to work (admittedly only a 12 minute walk) whilst Gumbsy was laying in his hotel bed watching movies (he had 12 on his hotel bill when he checked out and I don't believe they were all Harry Potter!).

We did all the normal tourist things like drinking and drinking when they were here and we also had a guy from Aon Global Risks with us on an exchange at the same time so we were quite a handful armed with our English accents! Despite this wonderful piece of armour, Gumbsy still preferred the tactic of going up to ladies and holding their hand, which he denies vehemently but as the boys will back me up was true!

I really like my apartment I am renting at the moment. It's on the 36th floor with wonderful views over the city and the building has a gym (supposedly) and a swimming pool but I'm currently wrestling with the idea of buying a place because I have never been much of a renter, feeling it is throwing money away.

The weather turned whilst I was home, and has become colder and we have seen the first snowfall of the winter. The trouble with the winters here is not the cold or the snow, it is just that they can last so long with snow still likely as late as May. Now that is a depressing thought. Oh well, I think I still prefer the snow to the awful drizzle and dampness we get back home.

I will be back at Christmas and I will definitely let some of you know if I am able to pop into the City for a pint.

I am going to the Chicago Bulls game tomorrow night. Brian Dougal and I have been invited by an underwriter into one of the sky boxes at the United Center. The Bulls are shite by the way with a season record so far of won 2 and lost 12. However they have a rookie playing for them this year called Luol Deng who after arriving in the UK from the Sudan with his 9 brother and sisters in 1993 lived in Lewisham, before coming to the US to go to college - that's good enough for me. Go da Bulls.

I'm in a very good mood this Sunday evening, can't image why..... Dennis, Dennis, how much we love you so. You gotta love it haven't you?

No comments: